Thursday, May 31, 2012

Beginning of the end

As this year winds down, I've realized, this is it, it's the beginning of the end. Middle school feels so far away, and elementary school even further; to think, one day, that's what today will feel like. It's been eleven long years of school, and only one left. This is only to be followed up with years upon years of college. But for now, let's relish the fact that senior year is almost here.

I remember when I was a little girl, I used to look at the high schoolers and think, "Oh my goodness, they're so big! When am I ever going to be that big?" Well, some how, I don't feel that old. I feel like that same little girl looking up at the "big kids" I can't believe that in one short year, I'm going to be in my cap and gown walking up on stage to receive my diploma after twelve long years that felt ever seemingly short. 

I know next year will be better than ever though. I won't have any major homework assignments to do; I won't have any teachers nagging me on and on; and I won't have the stress of 18 AP tests. Instead, I'll be able to go off and do research, do internships, and do my own thing. I'll be able to start going out into the world and really make a difference outside of school, and isn't that what life is really about? Sometimes we get too caught up in grades and numbers, but in the end, your 4.0 GPA and 2400 SAT aren't going to change anything in the world. Instead, your actions will. 

I'll really miss walking down the halls to see everyone I've known for the past 7 years though. I've been around basically the same people since 4th grade, and I wouldn't change one thing. It's going to be so different going to college and seeing all new faces in all new places. So while I'm here, I'm going to make sure all of the bridges that were burned are mended. I probably won't see a lot of the faces I have seen for the past 7 years ever again after I graduate next year and leave for college; so I want to make sure that last time is a good one. I feel like in high school, people get too caught up in the drama of everything and don't realize how much they are going to miss everyone, even the people they "didn't like". What's the point of it all?

So class of 2013, let's make it a great year.

Or as Conn McCartan would say, "or not, the choice is yours."

No comments:

Post a Comment